History of St. Andrews on the Square
In 1887, the Reverend John Chisholm and a handful of Prebyterians started raising $5000 which was needed to build a home for the Presbyterian Church in Kamloops. With a donation of land from the Canadian Pacific Railway and help from its employees, construction began on September 25, 1887. In four short months the building was complete and ready for its first church service on Christmas Day.
The Presbyterians continued to use St. Andrews until they merged with two other Christian denominations forming the United Church of Canada in 1925. The church remained empty and was used to play badminton in and as office space until 1936 when it was bought and used by the St. Andrews and Caledonian Society. In 1942, the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada bought the building and renamed it Calvary Temple. Reverend Phil Gaglardi started restorations in the 1940s.
In 1958 there was an addition built onto the east side of the church. As the original church building gradually fell into disrepair, the congregation considered demolishing the church, but the city council at the time bought it for future use as a public building.
In 1996, restorations of the old Calvary Temple began. The plan was to restore the building to its former grandeur and use it as a non-denominational wedding chapel and multi-functional community hall. The total cost of the restorations was $500,000.
Today, St. Andrews is operated by the Kamloops Heritage Society. It is used as a wedding chapel and multi-functional hall. St. Andrews is a glimpse into what was and what can still be seen today.
More information on the history of St. Andrews can be found by visiting St. Andrews on the Square or reading the historical essay. Information can also be found about St. Andrews and the history of Kamloops at the Kamloops Museum and Archives