To preserve and use a significant Kamloops heritage property, St. Andrews on the Square, as a wide ranging community access space.
- To maintain St. Andrews on the Square in good working order for public enjoyment and use
- To create cultural and educational opportunities
- To cultivate relationship with other community groups in joint ventures
- Partnering with non-profit society, the Kamloops Farmer’s Market in the Artisan’s Fair and Pumpkin Fest event 2009.
- Supporting the Festival of Performing Arts students fundraising efforts at Spring at the Square 2009
- Supporting Project X Theatre Company’s X Fest 2008-09 at the Artisan’s Square
- Partnering with the Kamloops Central Business Improvement Association (KCBIA) at the November’s Light up the Night 2004-present
- Supporting local non-profit and charity groups such as Katimivik, Breast Cancer, Miss Kamloops Pageant and many more
- Partnering with TRU and Tranquille On The Lake to document the personal history of the site at Tranquille.
- Supporting and mentoring new heritage groups and activities.
The Kamloops Heritage Society was formed in October 1995 by a group of citizens who wanted to preserve our colourful and dynamic history for the benefit of future generations.
In partnership with the City of Kamloops and BC Heritage Trust, the Society commenced the restoration of the oldest public building in Kamloops – the old St. Andrew’s Church – later known as the Calvary Temple.
This venerable building has been at the heart of our city since 1887 and has seen Kamloops grow from a thriving trading post to an exciting urban centre. It took nearly two years to transform a crumbling building slated for demolition, into a beautiful and stately community centre that Kamloops is very proud of today.
The BC Heritage Trust has provided financial assistance to the project to support conservation of our heritage resources, gain further knowledge and increase public understanding of the complete history of British Columbia.
As our heritage is a non-renewable resource, we at the Kamloops Heritage Society take seriously our commitment to saving valuable pieces of our history for the benefit of future generations.
We welcome you to join us in our efforts at “preserving our past for the future.” If you would like to make a donation to the Society to further the work of conservation and restoration of heritage sites in our area, please make your cheques payable to: The Kamloops Heritage Society.
Regular meetings are held at St. Andrew’s on the Square. Please contact us for more information.
Contact the Kamloops Heritage Society
Family – $25
Single Adult – $15
Student – $10
Senior – $10